I like to make things. I especially like to make unique things when it involves a certain amount of math. At some point, I decided that a nice gift for my Steven Universe-loving boyfriend would be a stuffed toy of the main character. So, I bought a pink button and some flesh-colored cotton yarn (I had all the other colors already) and set to work. Steven Universe is a short chubby child with a rose quartz in his belly button. Unfortunately, due to my lack of planning and/or knowing what I was really doing, the toy ended up looking more creepy than cute, partially because it was too tall and thin.
Because I wanted my stuffed Steven to have a 3-D belly gem (hence the button purchase) I knew that his shirt would have to be able to be lifted. Of course, that would be weird if his legs were just pants colored (or so I thought) so I ended up doing more work than necessary, crocheting a sort of naked doll then adding clothes in a way that they cannot actually be removed.
I started with a foot, which I decreased into a leg then made a second, identical one. On each foot, I sewed a red flip-flop, which was not as easy as I thought it would be, so that came out kind of weird looking – the first of many weirdnesses I would have on this project. Also, this was the start of my shape problem, I made the legs too long and tried to do everything else to scale. Then, I stuffed both legs, joined them together, and crocheted around the belly for a bit. This made Steven’s lower half almost complete.
In order to make the pants in a way that would never fall down, I started them at the waist by chain stitching around with blue yarn then working downward off of that waistband. Until I got to the point where the legs split, it looked like a pair of legs in a miniskirt, which I admit was pretty odd. Anyway, it was pretty much the opposite of the process I used to make the legs. A little before the feet, I switched to lighter color blue in order to represent cuffs. Also, I sewed the pink button onto the midsection to act as Steven’s gem.
I continued crocheting around to make the torso, turning the work to go back and forth in order to leave holes at each arm socket, then I picked up stitches around each armhole and worked from there to create limbs which ended in little balls for hands – I was not going to even try fingers!
I made the shirt separately using a similar process as for the torso but a little bigger so that it would fit over what I had already made. Then, I stitched a yellow star freehand and filled it in with an awkwardly executed satin stitch. The shirt had to be put on the doll before the head was crocheted because I did not allow for stretch in the neckline. I forced the arms and neck stub through the shirt holes then started work on the head.
The head was another place I went wrong, I think. I did the ears and nose as part of the same piece as the head then embroidered on the eyes and mouth. I tried to make the pupils stars, like Steven gets when he is excited. I was not able to execute that particularly well. It was the hair, though, which was the hardest thing to tackle.
Like with the pants, I attached the black yarn for hair by using a chain stitch along the edges of the head then I did some varying cluster stitches for Steven’s curls. That was the real problem with the hair. There are a couple of big lumps and some other parts that sort of dip in. At the end of the exercise though, the head was totally covered in hair, which was the main goal. So, in the end, my crocheted Steven Universe may have turned out more creepy than cute, but I am still reasonable pleased – I think I learned something from the whole process.